Mechanical energy, concepts, and its examples.
Mechanical energy is associated with physical science. Mechanical energy includes both kinetic and potential energy. At one point of time, either potential energy or kinetic energy remains in operation.
Mechanical energy is associated with physical science. Mechanical energy includes both kinetic and potential energy. At one point of time, either potential energy or kinetic energy remains in operation. In everyday life, many life forms and systems use the energy of motion or the energy of a body. Let’s take some examples of how mechanical energy enriches our lives.
- A child walking means his chemical energy is converted into the energy of motion-the kinetic energy. Further during his walk, if he jumps high, he gains potential energy at the highest point of his jump. Again when he reaches the ground from the highest point of his jump his potential energy is converted into kinetic energy during the landing process.
- When a planet is close to the sun, its potential energy decreases, and kinetic energy increases.
- Whenever you enjoy riding a bicycle, the chemical energy generated from food is converted into kinetic energy.
- We enjoy seeing the birds fly, where the chemical energy of the birds is converted into kinetic energy.
- One may like the amazing Roller coaster ride, where kinetic energy is transferred to potential energy and vice versa in many times during a ride and mechanical energy remains constant.
- In a pendulum, we observe the frequent transformation of kinetic energy to potential energy and vice versa.
- Further, the kinetic energy of an object may be transferred to another as kinetic energy in the case of a billiards-like game. In a such game, a player passes the kinetic energy on the cue ball by striking it with the cue stick. If the cue ball collides with another ball then the kinetic energy is transferred to the ball it hit, accelerating the ball’s speed.
- A car when in motion transforms chemical energy into kinetic energy. The same car when rides a hilly road its kinetic energy is converted to potential energy at the top of the road and when it comes down the road its potential energy is converted to kinetic energy again. If during the drive if the brake is used then some mechanical energy is transferred into heat energy. However, so far as the conservation of energy is concerned, the mechanical energy remains constant in the system, justified by the formula.
Where U=Potential energy, K=Kinetic energy.
The energy has different forms and is interchangeable. Sometimes mechanical energy is changed into many forms and at other times other forms of energy are converted into mechanical energy depending on circumstances.
Other energy conversions to mechanical energy;
On many occasions, many forms of energy are converted into ME. Some examples are as follows;
- We all are aware of the steam engine of a train, where the engine converts the thermal energy into ME.
- The human body converts chemical energy into mechanical energy during daily activities.
- Such a fact is also followed in animals, where chemical energy is converted into ME in different activities.
- Gasoline converts chemical energy into ME in vehicles during driving.
- Music converts the sound energy into ME in our eardrum.
- A drilling machine can convert electrical energy into ME during drilling.
- In sports chemical energy of the players is converted into ME during the events.
Conversion of Mechanical energy(ME) into other forms of energy;
As the different forms of energy are interchangeable, Mechanical energy also changes into other forms of energy during different uses. Some examples as such;
- One of the major sources of renewable energy, the windmill converts ME into electrical energy in a generator.
- The body mechanism of the digestive systems of animals including humans converts the ME into chemical energy.
- Rubbing our hands simply converts the ME into heat energy, as heat is generated during the process.
- An electric light switch converts ME into light and electrical energy when switched on.
We encounter energy in every step of our daily lives. Mechanical energy is converted to many other energy forms and other energy forms are also converted into ME according to the situation’s demands. However, the principles of conservation of energy are restored in a system.